Friday, July 27, 2007

Potter Mania!!!!

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Author: J.K. Rowling
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5


Let me begin by stating that, although I thoroughly enjoy Harry Potter, I am not a Potterhead. No sir, I stand in line for no one or no thing. I was going to wait until the last book was released in paperback or a copy became available at the library. However, this is summer and I have quite exhausted my "To Be Read" list. So the monkey on my back started whispering "you have to know you have to know you HAVE to know you HAVE to know you HAVE TO KNOW you HAVE TO KNOW YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOU HAVE TO KNOW" until I pled mercy and bought the darn book despite all my good intentions. Hey that $35 could have gone to good use at Tony Roma's!!!

So...what do I think about the book? Well, it was a well-rounded ending. I'm pretty amazed at Rowling's ability to see the story's progression years down the road and to set up all the precursors to the big finale. Yes, I agree with many others that the epilogue was a bit fluffy and sugary sweet, but it didn't detract from the whole. There were only two things I thought could be improved. One, Harry was a little annoying when he kept forgetting his quest in the middle of the Hogwarts battle with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Second, there was no lead up to the deaths of R and T. My eyes reached that part of the sentence and SPLAT...a little grim reaper birdie pooped death on the page. I was completely surprised. It felt out of place. It wasn't as gripping or moving as F's death which readers actually got to see. You may disagree...but you have to read for yourself. Of course I have to recommend this book. If you have ventured at all into Potter Land then you simply have to finish the series. Don't wait for the movies, it's a cop out.

No comments: